Building a home from the ground up is an often once-in-a-lifetime opportunity and the team at Chesapeake Homes wants to prepare you to create a home you will enjoy for years to come.
Selecting your community, floorplan, and homesite is just the beginning of this experience. You’ll also want to ensure you have all the structural options added so that your home will meet your family’s needs now and in the future.
- The gourmet kitchen with a double oven configuration will be perfect for holiday festivities with your extended family.
- The third car garage is exactly the right space to set up a tool bench and create the workshop you have always wanted.
- And the screened-in porch with the outside fireplace…you can’t help but imagine cozy evenings curled up with a mug of hot tea and a good book.
Now that you’ve selected those options, you’re done, right? Nope! Now it’s time to prepare for your design appointments at the Chesapeake Homes Design Gallery. Your design appointments are when you have the opportunity to let your personal style shine throughout your home.
It’s common to like and appreciate many design styles, from farmhouse to mid-century modern to contemporary, but on closing day you want to walk into a house that feels like home to you.
- To get an idea of your personal design style, start scrolling websites and apps that feature design trends. Pinterest, Houzz, and social media sites like Instagram will get you going in the right direction. When you see photos of kitchens, bathrooms, and flooring that you like, be sure to save those photos. After a few clicks, you may start to see your preferred style develop in photos with a similar look and feel.
- The personalization of your home isn’t just about selecting what is pretty, it’s also about functionality and making sure your home meets your family’s needs now and in the future. During construction is the most cost-effective and efficient time to run wiring. If you plan to turn the loft into a media room after your kids no longer use it as a playroom, you may want to have floor receptacles for a reclining sofa and recessed lighting to enhance the movie theater aesthetic.
- If being the Clark Griswold of the neighborhood is your goal with your holiday lights display, then consider adding exterior electrical outlets at the roofline so you don’t have to run extension cords to illuminate your roof. Maybe you are a master craftsman, or just aspire to be, so you’ll want to make sure you have the proper electrical outlets in the right locations to meet your needs.
- Technology is always evolving, but it’s important to spend time mapping out what your technology needs will be, as well as where you plan to put TVs in your home. If you plan to wall-mount them, that’s important to note. Also, be sure to know if you plan to have cable network run to your home, or if you are cutting the cable cord and only stream your shows. This will help your design consultant guide you through the best wiring for connectivity in your home.
- These days, many more homeowners are working from home. If this is the case for you, you’ll want to make personalizing your home office a priority. Running an ethernet connection will offer redundancy to the wi-fi, or even possibly be required by your employer for remote access. If your role requires a lot of time on the phone, you may want to consider adding a phone line just for work.
The possibilities are endless for how your home comes together in a personal style that’s just right for you and your family! By just spending a little time preparing for your design appointments, you’ll be sure to create your dream home for your family to love for years to come. Learn more about the Chesapeake Homes Design Gallery here!